Spoiler-Full Movie Review
First, congratulations and thanks to Kevin Feige and his team for the 10 years leading up to IW. Congratulations to Anthony and Joe Russo, the team at Marvel, all the cast and crew for the herculean effort in pulling off their biggest movie to date. 10 years, 18 movies, literally 100s of actors and 1000s of crew members later, we arrive at, in my opinion, the closet to a masterpiece the MCU have ever done. I had a chance to watch it with my friends in a packed theater, and it was one of my favorite cinema-going experiences in a long while, I left with my jaw dropped and keen to go again! So, here’s my SPOILER FULL review for the Avengers Infinity War.
Thanos the character is just incredible. Avengers Infinity War is his movie, he has more screen time and it makes sense because he hasn’t been developed as much in the previous 18 films. He’s the most developed character in this movie. He sees himself as the good guy, he not only justified what he’s doing but he has a conviction that he’s doing something that’ll benefit the whole universe and nothing can change his mind. He thinks his perspective is right, He also has an emotional depth – his relationship with Gamora – which many moustache twirling villains don’t.
The directors were smart in where they separated the characters, the Russo brothers and the writers picked character dynamics that would work the best (e.g Thor and the Guardians, Strange/Spidey/Iron Man). After Avengers (2012) we have been introduced to other properties like Dr Strange & The Guardians of the Galaxy and we have been patiently waiting to see all of them join our Avengers in one film, and here it is. The interactions between every character is so cool, the dynamics work, the themes and tones mesh well, and seeing them all fight together is a sight to behold. Thor interacting with the Guardians is my favorite scene. From Drax’s awe of Thor, to Star Lords jealousy and mimicry of him, to Thor’s hilarious quips, it’s just perfect.
This is the funniest MCU film, apart from Thor Ragnarok, which is surprising for me because I was expecting a much darker tone considering the high stakes. I was pleasantly surprised and it’s understandable because of the characters involved. The levity worked for me considering the final moments in the film they build to is so crazy. The humour caught me off guard and I more than once laughed out loud to the detriment of those around me.
The Russo brothers just know how to film epic, crisp, inventive action sequences, and they just get better and better with each film. They are masterful here, easily interweaving the unique fighting styles of each character in massive set pieces, just amazing. Every character got one moment to shine, and that’s not easy to do. I also appreciated how the Russos didn’t use shakey cam, obviously to be more epic.
After thinking about it, his motivation just didn’t feel complete to me. Because his planet was destroyed due to overpopulation he wants to rid the universe of half its population. Maybe this is just as nit-pick. There’s also confusion on what he’s capable of without the Gauntlet.
I may be nit-picking here; the pace of the film was fine. I’m talking more of the decisions made by characters felt rushed. Like Vision wanting to run away with Wanda, nek minnit he sees on TV ‘Tony Stark missing’ and then he says he must go, odd.
Thanos (Josh Brolin):
The questions I had going into this movie for Thanos was on his motivations and how formidable he would be up against the Avengers. After this movie, there’s no questioning he’s formidable, he is crazy powerful and incredibly intimidating. From the get-go, his “having fun” against Hulk, easily dispatching him, set the tone for the rest of the film. Over and over again, we see his use of the Infinity Stone’s power on display, temporarily incapacitating Drax and Mantis, single handily defeating EVERY hero and of course, decimating half of the universe by the snap of his fingers!
His mastery of each Stone was surprising, considering he is the first to control all let alone more than one.
The only thing with him was his motivations, which I talked about in the CONs, that you’ve probably already read… hopefully. Also, wasn’t clarified what his powers are without the Gauntlet.
Our heroes are all over the universe in this film, but by the end they convene in two locations. Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr) leads Dr Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) and Spider-Man (Tom Holland) to Titan meeting Star Lord (Chris Pratt), Drax (Dave Bautista) and Mantis (Pom Klementieff) to fight Thanos himself, Nebula (Karen Gillan) arrives to help. Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) leads a bigger squad, Black Widow (Scarlett Johannsen), Falcon (Anthony Mackie), Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen), Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo), and War Machine (Don Cheadle) to Wakanda to protect Vision (Paul Bettany), with Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman), Winter Soldier (Sebastien Stan), Okoye (Danai Gurira), Shuri (Letitia Wright) and M’Baku (Winston Duke) helping fight against Thanos’ surviving Black Order children and his army of Outriders. Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Rocket Raccoon (Bradley Cooper) and Teen Groot (Vin Diesel) eventually arrive in Wakanda to help.
Highlights – Dr Strange’s incredible one-on-one with Thanos, Drax was again hilarious, Spider-Man shone in his part, RDJ was at his acting best here, and it was great getting to see Bruce Banner contribute without relying on Hulk. Thor’s new weapon is extremely powerful, if only he aimed at the head, we got to see Scarlet Witch rip up with her Hex powers, and Captain America showing why he is just the best, surprising Thanos by holding him off but I did want more of Captain America, because he’s Captain America.
The Black Order:
The Children of Thanos were formidable and fantastic. They all managed to hold their own against multiple Avengers. My favourite was Ebony Maw, he was impressive, fighting off Strange, Iron Man and Wong by himself using telepathy. Corvus is the supposed leader of the crew but the Avengers seemed to always have his number unless he stabbed them in the back, I expected more from him. Proxima Midnight had some dialogue and it was cool seeing her fight Okoye, Black Widow and Scarlet Witch. Cull Obsidian was probably my least favourite out of the four, but he was still imposing.
Nick Fury (Sam L Jackson), Maria Hill (Colbie Smulders), Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow), Ned, The Collector (Benicio Del Toro), Red Skull (Ross Marquand), Eitri (Peter Dinklage) Stan Lee were in the movie too.
Those missing (some credited on IMDB):
Hawkeye, Ant Man, Wasp, Ramona, Valkyrie, Korg, Clint Bartons wife and child.
- IW starts a few moments after Thor Ragnaroks post credits scene. We miss Thanos’ attack so we don’t get to see if Valkyrie, Korg and Miek survived.
- Infinity Stone 1 – Power: Its mentioned in passing that Thanos decimated Xandar to take the Power Stone.
- NerdService #1: Hulk v Thanos – Thanos easily beats him, Ebony stops Cull Obsidien from intervening by casually saying “Let him have his fun”.
- RIP Heimdall – After sending Hulk back to earth through Bifrost power, Thanos uses Corvus’ weapon to kill him.
- Infinity Stone 2 – Space: on the Asgardian ship, Loki gives Thanos the Tesseract which he crushes to reveal the Space Stone.
- RIP Loki – After failing to kill Thanos, Thanos grabs him by the neck and starts to strangle him before just breaking his neck.
- Stan Lee cameo – Stan Lee is the bus driver driving the school bus Peter Parker is in when Ebony Maw’s ship arrives in New York.
- NerdService #2: Tony meets Dr Strange & Wong.
- NerdService #3: Tony, Bruce, Wong, Dr Strange & Spider Man v Ebony Maw & Cull Obsidian.
- Tony’s suit is now functioned by Nano-technology.
- NerdService #4: Captain America, Black Widow, Falcon, Vision & Scarlet Witch v Corvus Glaive & Proxima Midnight.
- NerdService #5: Spider-Man gets his Iron Spider suit! Woohoo!
- Iron Man & Spider Man save Dr Strange and sends Ebony Maw in space killing him. They decide to take the ship to Titan to fight Thanos head on.
- NerdService #6: Thor meets the Guardians. Its decided he goes with Rocket Racoon and Groot to Nidavellir to help create a weapon, while Star Lord, Gamora, Drax and Mantis go to Knowhere to see the Collector.
- Drax on difference between Quill and Thor: “You are a dude, he is a man”
- Infinity Stone 3 – Reality: Star Lord and co arrive in Knowhere to find out Thanos is there and already has the Aether/Reality Stone and takes Gamora also.
- Infinity Stone 4 – Soul: Gamora reveals the planet the Soul Stone is on, there they meet Red Skull who is like the gate keeper who explains how to retrieve the Soul Stone, one must sacrifice a loved one. Thanos cries and sacrifices Gamora and he gets the Soul Stone.
- RIP Gamora.
- Mini-Civil War II: Iron Man, Strange & Spider Man v Star Lord, Drax & Mantis.
- Star Lord: “I’ve got one question, where is Gamora?”
Iron Man: “I’ve got one, who is Gamora?”
Drax: “I’ve got one, why is Gamora?”
- Thor, Groot and Rocket help Eitri, the last dwarf of Nidavellir build his new war hammer, Stormbreaker. Also, Rocket gives Thor a cybernetic eye.
- Thanos arrives on Titan and fights off Iron Man and co. Iron Man and his team gain an upper hand and try to separate Thanos and the Gauntlet, but its revealed Gamora is killed and Star Lord in rage attacks Thanos allowing him a moment to get gain the upper hand. Thanos proceeds to beat them all up.
- NerdService #7: Dr Strange v Thanos – An epic, inventive fight that highlights Dr Strange’s style of fighting and Thanos’ sheer power.
- Black Panther: “Engage all defences, and somebody get this man a shield”
- Proxima Midnight and Cull Obsidian lead a massive army of Outriders on Wakanda against Cap his heroes, Black Panther and his army. M’Baku and his tribe are there, he calls T’Challa brother, Banner is in the Hulk Buster and Bucky Barnes has a new arm.
- NerdService #8: Captain America and Black Panther leading the army and fighting side by side.
- The Outriders are starting to overrun the heroes, but Thor arrives using Stormbreaker, with Rocket Racoon and Groot and just ragdoll the Outriders.
- Corvus attacks Vision but is killed by his own weapon. Bruce can’t turn into Hulk, but ends up defeating Cull Obsidian and sends him to his death. Proxima Midnight is killed by Scarlet Witch.
- Infinity Stone 5 – Time: Thanos is about to kill Iron Man but Dr Strange asks for his life in exchange for the Time Stone. Thanos accepts and leaves them all on Titan while he teleports to earth.
- Thanos arrives in Wakanda, and swiftly beats all our heroes who are trying to hold him off while Wanda destroys the Mind Stone.
- Infinity Stone 6 – Mind: Thanos uses the Time Stone to reverse time to get back before Vision is blown, only to take the stone killing Vision.
- RIP Vision.
- NerdService #9: Thor’s new hammer is powerful. Its hurled towards Thanos not effected by Thanos’ power and hits him in the chest.
- Thanos: “You should’ve aimed for my head”
- NerdService #10: Thanos snaps his fingers and disappears, fulfilling his mission.
- Half of the universe disintegrate. RIP Star Lord, Drax, Mantis, Dr Strange, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, Falcon, Winter Soldier & Groot. Leaving Tony Stark & Nebula on Titan, while Steve Rogers, Thor, Black Widow, War Machine, Bruce Banner and Rocket are left on Wakanda.
- Post Credit Scene – Maria Hill & Nick Fury are in New York and people start disintegrating, including Maria. Fury tries to contact someone before he is disintegrated and its revealed to be Captain Marvel.
5.5 out 6 Infinity Stones:
This is as close to a Marvel masterpiece as it can get, but it’s not just there yet because there’s so much characters that most have some just a few scenes not including the fighting scenes, which we knew going in and the directors handled it as well as it could have been.
The movie grips you and never let’s go, the action is non- stop but there’s also emotional depth. Everyone gets a moment to shine, and that ending… best film the MCU has ever done. There’s real emotional stakes and payoffs from a 10 years of world building and character development. There’s precise, sharp, inventive action sequences and massive set pieces on an incomparable scale, coupled with an ending that left my jaw on the floor. This movie is just incredible. Go watch it 5 times!